Sunday, July 19, 2009

Bagged Beverages

With every 7-11 drink purchase, you get two things:
1. a straw
2. a grocery bag

The straw was a little strange to get used to at first, but the bag seemed completely normal. And it seemed normal for awhile until I switched my beverage choices.

When I first moved to Asia, I stuck with familiar choices: water, Coke, orange juice. But then I decided to branch out and try new drinks. In the morning before work, I started to drink a combination of Ovaltine and iced coffee.

What surprised me so much was that my new drink, complete with a lid and straw, was still given to me in a grocery bag. Pretty confused, I left 7-11 holding my open container in a plastic bag.

This went on for several more mornings until I finally asked Brendan, a co-worker who has lived here over a year, why they do this extremely illogical thing. He proceeded to tell me that the Thai women get "cold hands" when they hold cold drinks, so opened (and unopened, apparently) drinks are always served in a grocery bag with a straw to save you from bitter, cold hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment