Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Chiang Rai Excitement

I took a day-trip from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai, which is the Northern-most part in Thailand.

First I went to the White Temple, a famous recently-built temple signifying Heaven and Hell. In Hell, people are reaching up trying to get out. Inside the temple there are disturbing paintings with references to modern culture (9/11, etc) on the walls showing Buddha conquering all.




I traveled to what's known as "The Golden Triangle," where Thailand meets Burma and Laos. I got a border pass to Laos where I had to try their famous Laos whiskey. I could choose between some killer "flavors" if you will: tiger fur, lizard or cobra. With options like that, how could I go wrong? I opted not to have a hair ball coughing fit later and stuck with "cobra".



Then I went to a tribal village, where I met the Long Neck Tribe, famous for growing their necks up to a foot long. They were really welcoming to me and let me try on one of their neck braces. In exchange for their kindness, I bought some hand-woven scarves.

No comments:

Post a Comment