Sunday, July 25, 2010

Last Weeks in Thailand

Delayed, I know. But bear with me...

I feel like my blog wouldn't be complete without a synopsis of my last couple weeks in Thailand. After I finished English Camp, my teaching obligations were done, and I could do whatever I wanted with my last 30,000 Baht... And I picked island hopping! I had already been to the islands on the West side of Thailand in the Andaman Sea. Now it was my chance to check out the islands on the East: Samui, Phangan and Tao. Talk about a whirlwind of events.

I set sail on an overnight ship with my friends Simone and Amy where we slept in a room with 30 people on small mats covering wooden decks. At sunrise we arrived on Koh Samui and took a taxi with two Brits- Faye and Tom. We liked them so much that they stayed with Amy and me for the remainder of our island hopping adventures. Samui was perfect for kickin' it on the beach, going to drag shows and going on exhausting runs in the middle of the day (hey, equator heat).



We learned that a half-moon party was happening at Koh Phangan that night, so we quickly hopped on a boat to the next island for this epic party in the jungle. Thailand is all about "moon parties" - half moon, full moon, new moon. It's crazy. Phangan is known all over the world for having the best moon parties, so obviously we had to go. We showed up to drum&bass tunes, neon colors, and wild travelers from all over the world. It was the most insane party I have ever imagined.





And last, but not least was the island of Tao- famous for the sea turtles and crystal clear water, perfect for scuba diving. We took a taxi to the opposite side of the island where we stayed on a private beach. Instead of going on an expensive tour, Simone and I rented a kayak, fins and masks for an afternoon of snorkeling. Man, I wish I had an underwater camera. After we beached our kayak on some rocks out in the ocean, we swam with the most exotic, colorful fish of all sizes. The coral looked like a cross between The Little Mermaid and a Beatles movie. I kept thinking, is this real?



No comments:

Post a Comment