Sunday, October 25, 2009

Halong Bay

So, 6 days in Hanoi, Vietnam... what on Earth can we do? Go to Halong Bay, of course!!! Booked through Hanoi Backpacker's Hostel, this trip was three of my most memorable days in SE Asia. After a bus trip from Hanoi we arrived at Halong Bay, where we traveled by boat to where we'd anchor until the next morning. The entire 3-hour journey was spent weaving in and out of massive limestone rocks, cliffs, and mini-mountains. The scenery was absolutely breathtaking.


After anchoring, everyone started jumping off the top of the 3-story boat. Safe to say, I did a massive belly flop! It only stung for awhile... and was completely cured by the time our kayaking adventure began. We kayaked through the bay for close to an hour before finding a cave... leading to a beautiful lagoon.


Originally I only planned on spending 2 days and 1 night, but after given the option to stay another night and travel to "Castaway Island" for another night of adventures and extreme living, I had no option but to agree. I met so many wonderful people who would make the second night unforgettable.


Castaway Island was occupied solely by the hostel's small staff, wall-less huts, mosquito nets, white sand, hammocks, volleyball net, and meeting area which served as a kitchen, lounge and bar. It was the closest to paradise as I've ever seen. And, for the first time in my life, I experienced pure silence.

No comments:

Post a Comment